Safe Vessel Operation
Water sports are a great way to have fun in the sun, whether you take to the water in your power boat, sailboat, or canoe. In order to keep water-based activities carefree and risks at a minimum, it’s important to keep basic safety practices in mind. The Colorado Boating Safety Program promotes safe vessel operation while enhancing boating experiences.
Before heading out on the water, be sure to:
<p></p> <p><br /></p><h2>Take a Boating Safety Course!</h2><p> The Boat Safety Review Session is required for individuals who are 14 or 15 years old to lawfully operate a boat in Colorado, but it includes extremely valuable information regardless of age or experience level! Not only will the material help students stay smart and safe on the water, it can also save participants 10-15% on boat insurance!
The process is simple:
- Register for a Boating Safely in Colorado course at least seven days in advance
- The course costs $15, payable at time of registration
- Students must be at least 14 years old
- This is a self-study manual to be studied before the review session
- A parent or guardian must be present with students 14 or 15 years old
- Bring a 1-by-1 inch front-facing photo for your operator card
- Score a 70% to earn your operator card!
Find out more:
See the Search and Rescue FAQ for more information.