SCDNR – Boating Safety
Before you Leave
- Download DNR Float plan (Adobe PDF file), fill it out and make sure you leave the plans with a responsible individual.
- Check the weather.
- Let someone know where you are going.
- Gather all lifesaving devices. Make sure they are in good serviceable condition and are the correct size for all passengers (especially children).
- Check the fuel and the battery charge.
- Make sure lights are in good working condition on the boat and trailer.
- Make sure fire extinguisher is readily accessible and in good serviceable condition.
- Put the plug in.
- Connect trailer safety chains to tow vehicle.
- Carry a cell phone if possible.
On the Water
- Know the aids to navigation and buoy system in your areas.
- Don’t operate the boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- When operating sailboats be aware of overhead power lines and wires.
- If someone falls overboard, throw something that will float (Personal Floating Device (PFD), raft or cooler).
- All boats approaching from the right have the right of way.
- Always anchor from the bow of the boat and pull the anchor before leaving.
- If boat capsizes, stay with the boat.
- If caught in a storm, head into the wind, put on PFD’s and keep passengers low in the boat.
- Cold water boaters such as duck hunters, fishermen, sailors beware! Cold water kills.
- Call Operation Game Thief (1-800-922-5431) to report boating, fishing or hunting violations.